Sunday, April 15, 2007

Finally Started

I've finally made a meager start on Rainbow Bridge - even though it may not look like much, this is easily 3 hours of work - that backstitched writing took so much longer that I could have anticipated! I've not done much "writing" on any of my projects - I only went over 1 "block" (2 threads on linen) - maybe I should've done longer stretches of floss? I guess I'll continue as it is.... Also, those dots over the i's are colonial knots - I just learned them last night after battling with french knots for years! Yay!!



I went outside to take this photo, so although the sun had already begun to set, its a pretty fair representation of what the fabric looks like (SW Blue Dynasty belfast).

Now, as mentioned in my previous post, here are my wagon rules I'm enforcing for myself - remember - they are ridiculously generous! lol

1. I must finish at least three (hey, I said they were easy lol) projects before I go on anymore binges - and one of those must be either Motherhood QS or Petal Fairy.

2. I *am* allowed to buy supplies - floss, needles, and continue with my Enchanted Fabrics monthly club.

3. I can only buy things if they are on major sale/clearance, but those items must be on my wishlist!! (I'm notorious for placing huge orders and only a few things will actually be from my wishlist..... heh, I know, I know

4. I get a bonus this week and next month is the gloriously elusive three paycheck month - so I may allow myself one last binge.

LOLOLOL
..... why even bother with the Wagon, huh? But I'm going to try to stick by these rules - if I can't, that'd be truly pathetic. lol

Phew, that was almost embarrassing! lol

Now, attention to all you computer gurus: does anyone know how I can make a new header for my blog? A nice, pretty one that isn't so generic as the one blogger provides? I don't have Paintshop or Photoshop - only Paint.net which isn't back considering its free, but there aren't that many tutorials for it online.

Speaking of Photoshop - does anyone know if the one that runs for around $80-90 is good enough to make things like headers, sparkly signatures, edit photos beyond getting red-eye out, making small animations, etc...? I really don't know anything about it other than there are multiple versions with some of them being $800!!!

One last thing - does anyone know if any copies of Shepherd's Bush freebie design "Be Happy" exists anymore? I've wanted it for a couple of years, but was never able to track one down - and while I was able to visit the actual Shepherd's Bush in Utah - they didn't have any copies of it :(

Thanks, Lovelies! :)

XOXO,

Carolyn

15 comments:

Dani - tkdchick said...

Congrats on finally starting rainbow bridge!

Good luck with your time on the wagon

Dawn T. said...

Great start! It looks wonderful!

BeckySC said...

Great start, Carolyn :)
I am almost 100% sure I have the SB freebie in question :) I can send you a copy :)

Anonymous said...

I definitely have that freebie, so if Becky doesn't, let me know! :)

Angi said...

Great start on the Rainbow Bridge chart! I love your furbabies!!

Cheryl said...

Great start! Hey, at least you've got some wagon rules right? ;) Ive added petal fairy to my wish list after seeing it on your blog, its lovely. You asked about the film blades of glory? Well, i think its one of those films people either love or hate. I really liked it, it was so stupid but really funny!

Sue said...

Your Rainbow Bridge is off to a great start. I LOVE your rules, they seem very, very manageable and shouldn't cause you much frustration :). Wish I could help out with the computer stuff but that is not my forte', hope someone can offer you a hand ;)

Hazel said...

Great start! Your Haed qs might take you longer than you think so you should def make allowances for it lol.

Heather said...

I have Be Happy too, if you need it let me know :) I stitched that one recently, it is so cute.

Regarding Photoshop... do you have a digital camera? If so, they usually all come with some kind of photo editing program. Maybe you can start there... and if you don't ask your friends/family if they'd have one that came with their camera. That is what got me started with it :)

I'm like you with the "buying stash" dilemma. I ahve so much of it! And then I say I won't buy... this month... then I find a sale and buy anyway :P You aren't the only one :D

~Heather

sugardoll said...

Great start on your WIP. I see that you have posted a photo of you hurray!!! You're very pretty, love your hair too! You know I had curly hair all my life, but I gotten to the point of getting tired of it, so I bought a straightening iron. LOL

On blogger header stuff, I haven't tried changing anything. I don't have time =(. I know Joyce (dreamstitcher) did changes with hers. Maybe she can give you tips hehe. Good luck!

Jamie said...

Carolyn - I don't know how I've missed your blog for so long! Anyway I'm glad you had a great visit with your sister, niece and nephew. Your recent stash purchases make me green with envy! I am working on a personalized blog and haven't figured out the header yet. I have an HTML For Dummies book and it's pretty user friendly. Thanks for the congrats on the engagement! - Jamie

Jamie said...

Hey Carolyn - I'm using Whichelt Chai Tea that is on the Stitching Bits and Bobs website... I love it. I'm going to use it for a lot of LHN charts - I think it's a really pretty color with lovely variations.

Stitchy Princess said...

I love the fabric you're doing that on - it's so pretty!

As for a image program, one free choice is GIMP http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/ It's got as many features, I'd say, as Photoshop, just a little less user-friendly.

Michelle said...

Great start on Rainbow Bridge. I love that fabric - I used it for my Just Nan RR.

stitcherw said...

Nice start on RB, the fabric you chose is lovely. I do colonial knots a lot, as never seem to be able to get french knots to turn out right.
Sue